YOU GUYS! Last night our slice of the globe got to experience the magnificent power of the strawberry moon. Depending on where you are, you may have experienced the full moon earlier than us, or after us, but regardless of when you were under the influence of this month’s full moon, it is clear that you were affected. We ran a full moon ritual to take full advantage of the moon’s power.
Why is it called the Strawberry Moon?
Basically, this title dates back to times when people told time based on mother nature intended; changes in the weather. The June full moon is referred to as the Strawberry Moon because it occurs during the time of year when wild strawberries are at their peak harvesting time.
Sorry for those of you that expected to see a bright pink moon up in the sky last night – The strawberry moon has nothing to do with the actual appearance of the moon.
Characteristics of a Full Moon
Maybe you’ve spent your entire life being fascinated by the moon, but never really thought too much about how it could be affecting you. Yes – The moon affects you! It has such a strong influence on some people that it will completely change their moods.
Every heard your friends in health care and childcare say “it must be a full moon?” Well, there really is some validity to that. The moon has its ways of making influential people feel it’s power quite strongly, specifically children and those in compromising or vulnerable situations. If you are easily influenced or in-tune with vibrations and energies, you will likely be influenced by the moon’s power.
What the full moon affects
- Your moods – If you notice that your emotions have been out of whack the past couple of days, check the moon calendar because you might be nearing a full moon.
- Your menstrual cycle – This is SUPER neat! If you are not altering your cycle with birth control, your body will likely sync with the moon’s cycle. Hello witchy vibes.
- Your pets – Like I said above, any living being that is vulnerable is likely to be influenced by the full moon, and this includes our furry friends. They may be a little out of balance a few days leading up to and following the full moon, so keep an eye on your pals.
What to do during a full moon
- Charge your spiritual tools – The full moon is at it’s peak of power which means it has the most energy to offer. This is a great opportunity to charge your crystals, tarot cards (I have these ones), oracle cards, and any other spiritual tool that you may have. Lay your tools out under the full moon overnight for the best results.
- Let go of unhealthy patterns and old habits – Full moons are a great opportunity to let go. Contrastive to a new moon, which is a great time to set intentions for the month ahead, a full moon is intended to let go of mistakes you may have made in the past month, or perhaps even longer.
- Reflect – Similar to the last point, a full moon is a great opportunity to look back on the past month and consider if what you are doing currently is going to get you to where you need to be to achieve your goals.
Running a Full Moon Ritual
So, last night I ran a full moon ritual with my goddess gang and we had a lot of fun! This was my first time running or even taking part in a full moon ritual, and I will definitely be doing it again.
There are tons of ways to run a full moon ritual, and there is truly no wrong way to do it, but I am going to share with you how I ran mine.
#1 Check your calendar
So, I know this sounds silly, but make sure you have the right date. Originally, I thought that the full moon was on June 28 because technically it was at it’s peak around midnight – which technically would have been the 28. However, you’re going to want to get together with your friends the night of the full moon, which would be June 27. Make sense? Find your full moon date and move forward from there.
We all got together around 9:30 p.m., because the sky really started to get dark around 10 p.m. and this gave us time to get to our destination (the park) and settle in.
#2 Pick a theme
This one was easy because it was the Strawberry Moon – so naturally, the theme was pink + strawberries. Every moon has a special name for it, so research what full moon you will be having a ritual for – don’t be afraid to be creative!
#3 Make a party favour bag (optional)
I made up little goodie bags for my full moon ritual – I created a graphic on Canva and got it printed on photo paper, then pinned this to the side of each goodie bag. Here’s the graphic I created:
Also, totally cursing myself for not snapping a photo of my goodie bags, but I did post a video of them on my Instagram story and it will still be in my “Spiritual” highlight if you want to take a look.
In the bag, I included a notebook, a sparkler, some strawberry candies, and a snowflake obsidian crystal.
Snowflake obsidian is a great crystal for recognizing unhealthy patterns in your life and helping you to change them. I figured this was fitting for our full moon ritual.
#4 Gather your supplies
So you’re going to need a couple of things to get this party started.
- A fire-proof bowl (I used my smudging bowl)
- Sage (optional for cleansing and charging crystals)
- A lighter/matches
#5 Explain the goodie bags
Once people arrive, you should start out by explaining the items in the bags. I explained that the notebook was for tracking changes and writing down how you were feeling, sort of like a journal. I explained the properties of the crystal, and said that the sparkler was
because they all light up my life, and now it was time for them to light up their own lives.
Any explanation works – this is a great transition to get the ball rolling.
#6 Ask guests to write down on paper what they want to let go of tonight
They can use the notebooks – Write down the thing or things that they are hoping to let go of and move on from.
#7 Burn them
Once everybody has written down what they want to let go of, ask the guests to burn their papers using a candle – fold the paper and place in fire-proof bowl, and burn to ash. Ask each guest to explain their choice if they feel comfortable doing so.
#8 Blow it into the universe
#9 Thank them for coming
Say a little something about how blessed you were to have them, and tidy up. Leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time.
Remember that you can run a full moon ritual anyway that you see fit. You may take my full moon ritual and repeat it, or alter it in any way. If you have any questions please feel free to comment or tweet me. I would also love to hear about your full moon rituals!